Ketel Marte: Diamondbacks place second baseman on restricted list before Boston game
Ketel Marte was placed on the Arizona Diamondbacks’ restricted list shortly before Monday’s game against the Boston Red Sox. The team has not publicly explained why he is unavailable or said how long he is expected to remain off the roster, according to MLB Trade Rumors.
Diamondbacks place second baseman on restricted list before Boston game
The Diamondbacks announced the move minutes before first pitch in Boston and recalled infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno, Arizona Sports reported. The restricted list is used for players under contract who are not playing for personal or non-baseball reasons.
Marte had traveled with the team to Boston, but he did not arrive at Fenway Park for batting practice. The team reportedly waited until game time in the hope that he would appear. He had been expected to serve as Arizona’s designated hitter, but Lars Nootbaar took that spot instead, according to MLB Trade Rumors.
The Diamondbacks’ lineup changed as a result. Ildemaro Vargas started at second base, while Fernandez moved into the infield after his recall. Nolan Arenado was also not playing because of a torso injury and was described as day-to-day in the report.
What happened before the Boston absence
Marte had recently dealt with left knee soreness. He left Arizona’s Friday game against the Atlanta Braves after aggravating the issue while attempting a play in the second inning. Manager Torey Lovullo said afterward that Marte was day-to-day and had been playing through soreness he felt during the team’s series against the San Diego Padres, according to Arizona Sports.
Marte did not play Saturday, but he returned to the lineup Sunday against Atlanta. He went 0-for-3, drew a walk and scored a run before the team traveled to Boston, Arizona Sports reported.
The available reports do not establish whether the knee issue is connected to Monday’s restricted-list placement. They also do not identify a personal matter, disciplinary issue or other specific reason for the move.
What remains unknown
This is the second consecutive season in which Marte has been placed on the restricted list, according to Arizona Sports. The report said he spent two days on the list last season after a burglary at his home and an absence in the Dominican Republic, but it did not indicate that the circumstances were the same this time.
For now, the latest verified status is that Marte is unavailable, Fernandez has been recalled from Reno and Arizona has not provided a reason or timetable for his return.