TrendXDay
Canada Momentum 835 verified sources

Corée Du Sud: North Korea launches a ballistic missile before Ulchi Freedom Shield

By TrendXDay Editorial Desk
Le Journal de Montréal

The immediate issue involving corée du sud is a sharp security confrontation with North Korea just as annual South Korea–United States military exercises were due to begin. North Korea launched its second ballistic missile in less than a week, while the exercises were scheduled for August 17 and were reported as starting as planned.

North Korea launches a ballistic missile before Ulchi Freedom Shield

The missile was launched from the coastal area near Wonsan, on North Korea’s east coast, at about 6 a.m., according to the Euronews report. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the projectile travelled more than 700 kilometres. Japan’s Defence Ministry also detected the launch and said the missile fell into waters outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.

South Korea condemned the launch, and its National Security Council described the North Korean missile tests as “acts of provocation,” according to Noovo. The South Korean military said it remained prepared to respond to any provocation in coordination with the United States.

The launch came two days after Seoul and Washington announced the start of their annual large-scale exercises on August 17. North Korea views these manoeuvres as preparation for an invasion, while the United States and South Korea have repeatedly described them as defensive. Reports say the missile launch was interpreted as a protest against the upcoming exercises, but available reporting does not establish that the drills directly caused the test.

What the joint exercises involve

The exercises are known as Ulchi Freedom Shield. Radio-Canada reports that they are scheduled to last 11 days and involve about 18,000 South Korean soldiers, along with personnel from the approximately 28,500-member U.S. contingent stationed in South Korea.

The training is intended to prepare the two allies to defend against North Korea, which the report describes as a nuclear-armed country. South Korea’s Defence Ministry said the manoeuvres began as planned, according to Radio-Canada.

North Korea has previously responded to Ulchi Freedom Shield and other large joint exercises with weapons tests and hostile statements. Noovo reported that, after last year’s exercises began, Kim Jong-un said the drills showed a willingness by the United States and South Korea to start a war and that North Korea would answer with “proactive and overwhelming” countermeasures.

Trump says U.S. participation should be reduced

Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that the United States should “significantly reduce” its participation in joint military exercises with South Korea. He argued that the drills were costly and sent an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea, citing what he described as his very good relationship with Kim Jong-un, according to Radio-Canada.

The report also says Trump referred to South Korea’s decision not to join U.S. military operations against Iran. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has taken a more conciliatory position toward North Korea since entering office in June 2025, including offers of talks without preconditions. North Korea has not responded to those offers, according to the same report.

The confirmed position is therefore mixed: the exercises were reported to have begun as scheduled, while Trump called for reduced U.S. participation. The available reports do not specify how his announcement changed the drills, the number of U.S. personnel involved, or the exercises’ subsequent programme.

More recent explainers